Home  |  Contact Us   251.460.8000  |  Rave Alert  | Download Mobile County EMA App:

Latest News

Current News

SBA disaster news release - SBA Opens Business Recovery Center in Mobile County to Assist Alabamians (+ MS) with Applying for a Disaster Loan

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) announced today it will open a Business Recovery Center (BRC) in Mobile County at noon Monday, March 6, at Williams Chapel Baptist Church in Mt. Vernon, Ala. At the BRC, SBA’s Customer Service Representatives will assist Alabamians applying for SBA disaster loans for losses due to severe storms, straight-line winds and tornadoes that occurred Jan. 12. 


SBA Business Recovery Center

Mobile County

Williams Chapel Baptist Church – Fellowship Hall 17595 US Highway 43 Mt. Vernon, AL 36560

Opening: Monday, March 6, noon-4 p.m. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed: Saturday and Sunday Closing Permanently: 4 p.m. Thursday, March 16

If you have questions, please contact Sherrod Schuler, Public Affairs Lead for AL 17759, at 571-459-6601 (cell) or sherrod.schuler@sba.gov




Two weeks Left for Alabama Storm Survivors to Apply for Federal assistance

 FEMA Continued Rental Assistance

Survivors of the Jan. 12 severe storms, straight-line winds and tornadoes who live in Autauga, Coosa, Dallas, Elmore, Greene, Hale, Morgan, Mobile, Sumter and Tallapoosa counties and received initial rental assistance from FEMA may be eligible for continued rental assistance.

Who is eligible

To be eligible to apply, survivors must meet the following conditions:

  1. They were awarded initial rental assistance and used it as intended. The initial award covers two months.
  2. They are unable to return to their pre-disaster residence because it is uninhabitable, cannot be accessed or is not available due to the Jan. 12 storms.
  3. They cannot pay for housing without assistance.
  4. They are not receiving temporary housing help from any other source.
  5. They are developing a longer-term or permanent housing plan or can demonstrate progress toward one.

How to apply

Survivors applying for continued assistance must complete an Application for Continued Temporary Housing Assistance. To request this form, call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362.

Applicants should submit the following documents with the completed application:

  1. Pre- and post-disaster income for household members 18 and older.
  2. Proof of pre-disaster housing costs (copy of lease and utility bills, renter’s insurance, mortgage statements, real estate taxes, home insurance, etc.)  
  3. Proof of post-disaster housing costs (copy of current lease or rental agreement signed by the applicant and the landlord).


Submit to FEMA

The application form and supporting documents should be returned to FEMA in one of the following ways:

  1. Upload them to their disaster account at DisasterAssistance.gov.
  2. Mail them to FEMA, PO Box 10055, Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055.
  3. Fax them to 800-827-8112.


FEMA will evaluate the request to determine if the applicant is eligible. It is important for applicants to keep FEMA updated with their contact information and housing status.


For information on Alabama’s disaster recovery, visit fema.gov/disaster 4684. Follow FEMA on Twitter at FEMA Region 4 (@femaregion4) / Twitter and at facebook.com/fema.



Mobile County is now eligible for federal help after the mid-January tornado and storms.

There’s two categories of SBA low interest loans are available:

  • For citizens affected by the disasters
  • For businesses affected by the disasters

Disaster loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair or replace disaster-damaged or destroyed real estate. Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace disaster-damaged or destroyed personal property.  Homeowners and renters are eligible for up to $40,000 to repair or replace disaster-damaged or destroyed personal property. They need to register with FEMA first. Businesses and private nonprofit organizations of any size may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace disaster-damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other business assets.

For small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture and most private nonprofit organizations, the SBA offers Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDLs) to help meet working capital needs caused by the disaster. Economic Injury Disaster Loan assistance is available regardless of whether the business suffered any physical property damage. Interest rates are as low as 3.305 percent for businesses, 2.375 percent for nonprofit organizations, and 2.313 percent for homeowners and renters, with terms up to 30 years. Loan amounts and terms are set by the SBA and are based on each applicant’s financial condition.

Building back smarter and stronger can be an effective recovery tool for future disasters. Applicants may be eligible for a loan amount increase of up to 20 percent of their physical damages, as verified by the SBA, for mitigation purposes. Eligible mitigation improvements may include a safe room or storm shelter, sump pump, elevation, retaining walls, and landscaping to help protect property and occupants from future damage caused by a similar disaster.

Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via SBA’s secure website at https://disasterloanassistance.sba.gov/ela/s/ and should apply under SBA declaration # 17759.

To be considered for all forms of disaster assistance, applicants should register online at DisasterAssistance.gov or download the FEMA mobile app. If online or mobile access is unavailable, applicants should call the FEMA toll-free helpline at 800-621-3362. Those who use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services should call 800-621-3362. Disaster loan information and application forms can also be obtained by calling the SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 (if you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability, please dial 7-1-1 to access telecommunications relay services) or sending an email to DisasterCustomerService@sba.gov.

Loan applications can also be downloaded from sba.gov/disaster. Completed applications should be mailed to: U.S. Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX 76155.

The filing deadline to return applications for physical property damage is March 16, 2023.

The deadline to return economic injury applications is Oct. 16, 2023.





MCEMA works to protect life and property in Mobile County in emergency situations. Established in 1952 in response to Federal, State, and local guidelines, the Mobile County Commission passed a resolution on June 8, 1987, that made the Mobile County Emergency Management Agency (MCEMA) the office of government to act as the emergency planning district in Mobile County. 


The 1st 72 hours are on YouDO NOT wait on Government Assistance during the time of disaster. PREPARE YOURSELF. Here’s a starter list to help you prepare for any hazardous event see below:

Cash 💵 

Fuel ⛽ 

Pertinent Personal information 🗄️

Medications 💊 💉 🌿 

Flashlight with fresh batteries 🔦 🔋 

Radio (or portable TV) with fresh batteries 📻  🔋 

Extra batteries  🔋

Candles and holders 🕯️ 

Matches Cartoon, emoji, matches, matchstick, smiley icon - Download on Iconfinder

Bottled water

Non-perishable food             

Manual can opener

Paper plates and plastic utensils

Paper towels and napkins

Waterless hand sanitizer

Charcoal grill with charcoal and lighter (DO NOT USE INDOORS)      


Wind-up clock ⏰ 








For information concerning current road conditions visit:

ALGO Traffic>ALDOT Road Conditions



Mobile County Shelter Opening Information:


Shelters are now Closed.