Mobile County, Alabama has been recognized by the National Weather Service as StormReady. The recognition took place on Monday, September 19, 2006 at the Mobile County Commissioners meeting and will be good for three years. To be recognized as Storm Ready, a community must:
- Establish a 24-hour warning point and emergency operations center.
- Have more than one way to receive severe weather forecasts and warnings and to alert the public.
- Create a system that monitors local weather conditions.
- Promote the importance of public readiness through community seminars.
- Develop a formal hazardous weather plan, which includes training severe weather spotters and holding emergency exercises.